- Change > to
- the preservation of public health > preserving public health
- by the introduction of a speed limit > by introducing a speed limit
- the cost of the provision of a service > the cost of providing a service
- through the acquisition of new skills > by acquiring new skills
Note that the gerund makes a noun phrase from an entire clause, not just a verb.
- the taking of a decision > taking a decision
- the building of an area of justice > building an area of justice
Thus, a simple gerund can often replace a pair of abstract nouns.
- the submission of an application for a job > applying for a job
- the development of a design for a project > designing a project
Source: DGT, European Commission