A slot machine (American English), poker machine (Australian English), or fruit machine (British English) is a certain type of casino game. Traditional slot machines are coin-operated machines with three or more reels, which spin when a lever on the side of the machine is pulled. The machines include a currency detector that validates the coin or money inserted to play. (The slot machine is also known informally as a one-armed bandit because of its appearance and its ability to leave the gamer penniless.) The machine typically pays off based on patterns of symbols visible on the front of the machine when it stops. Modern computer technology has resulted in many variations on the slot machine concept. Today, slot machines have become one of the most popular attractions in casinos.
- Slot machines, like other gambling devices and games, can be addictive to some individuals.
- The first Liberty Bell slot machine can be found at the Liberty Belle Saloon & Restaurant on 4250 S. Virginia, Reno, Nevada. Brothers Marshall and Frank Fey opened the restaurant Nov. 20, 1958. The Fey’s grandfather, Charles Fey, invented the first three-wheeled slot machine, and the restaurant has a collection of more than 200 antique machines. The Liberty Belle closed on March 17, 2006 and the location was recently purchased by the Reno-Sparks Convention Center which is located nearby.
On July 8, 2006, the Liberty Belle’s slot machine collection will be auctioned off at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center.
- The first MegaJackpot system was introduced by International Game Technology in 1986. It is known as a Wide Area Progressive system.
- Brisman, Andrew. The American Mensa Guide to Casino Gambling: Winning Ways (Stirling, 1999) ISBN 080694837X
- Grochowski, John. The Slot Machine Answer Book: How They Work, How They’ve Changed, and How to Overcome the House Advantage (Bonus Books, 2005) ISBN 1566252350
- Legato, Frank. How to Win Millions Playing Slot Machines! …Or Lose Trying (Bonus Books, 2004) ISBN 1566252164
- HowStuffWorks: Slot Machines
- How Slot Machines Work
- Learn to Play Slot Machines
- Are Slot Machines Honest?
- Slot Machines de-mystified
- Slot Machines explained
- Slot Machine Fan