Web analytics is the study of the behaviour of website visitors. In a commercial context, web analytics especially refers to the use of data collected from a web site to determine which aspects of the website work towards the business objectives; for example, which landing pages encourage people to make a purchase.
Data collected almost always includes web traffic reports. It may also include e-mail response rates, direct mail campaign data, sales and lead information, user performance data such as click heat mapping, or other custom metrics as needed. This data is typically compared against key performance indicators for performance, and used to improve a web site or marketing campaign’s audience response.
Many different vendors provide web analytics software and services.
- Web Traffic Data Sources and Vendor Comparison by GA Experts
- Web Analytics Demystified by Eric T. Peterson, Celilo Group Media (2004), ISBN 0-9743584-2-8
- Web Site Measurement Hacks by Eric T. Peterson, O’Reilly (2005), ISBN 0-596-00988-7
- Web Analytics: An Hour A Day by Avinash Kaushik, Sybex (2007), ISBN 978-0470130650
- Web Analytics Strategies by G. Fragola, L. Paxia, ICC (2007), ISBN 978-88-902809-0-0 (In Italian)
Directories of web analytics vendors:
- Web Analytics Report by CMS Watch
- Web Analytics Book by S. Wenzel
- Web Analytics Listings by M. Ryan